Black Alumni Association Reunion and Black Student Union 50th Celebration
Friday, September 27, 2019 5:30 pm EDT to Sunday, September 29, 2019 1:00 pm EDT
100 West College Street
Granville, OH, US 43023
Join us back on “the Hill” to celebrate the Reunion of the Denison Black Alumni Association and the Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Black Student Union!
It will be a weekend full of celebration and friendship.
Some highlights include:
Friday, September 27
- 5:30-7 p.m. — Black Student Union Family Meeting, Curtis Dining Hall, Provost’s Dining Room
- 7-8 p.m. — Black Student Union Open House, BSU Lounge in Smith Hall
- 8-10 p.m. — All Class Mixer, Slayter Union, Third Floor
Saturday, September 28
- 8:30-10 a.m. — Black Alumni Association General Meeting, Burton Morgan Lecture Hall
- 4-5:30 p.m. — Gospel Choir Concert, Swasey Chapel
- 6-9 p.m. — Black Student Union 50th Anniversary Banquet, Curtis Dining Hall, Provost’s Dining Room
- 10 p.m.- 2 a.m. — NPHC Ice Breaker: Old School meets New School, Burton D. Morgan Center, Knobel Hall
Sunday, September 29
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. — Family Brunch, Huffman Hall, President’s Dining Room
An essay focusing on the founding of the BSU begins:
“The year 1969 was transformative for Denison University. It was the first year in the school’s history that African American students had matriculated in double-digit numbers. The freshman class of 17 women and six men joined the previously enrolled eight African American students to not only add color to the college, but also a distinct personality, flavor, and liveliness to the campus atmosphere. These trailblazers also would go on to create a legacy that has survived and continues to thrive 50 years hence.”
To read more about the BSU’s early days five decades ago, please link here.