Albert M. Higley Jr., 1951
B.A., Denison University
M.B.A., Cornell University
Chairman of the Board
The Albert M. Higley Company
Citation awarded May, 1997
Albert Higley is chairman of the board of the Albert M. Higley Company, a professional role that he combines with significant volunteer leadership in a number of community and philanthropic organizations in northern Ohio. Following his Denison years, Al studied at the Graduate School of Business of Cornell University, and served in the U.S. Army in Korea.
The Higley Company, founded in 1925 by Al’s father, is a construction management and general contracting firm that constructs major industrial, commercial, and institutional facilitates. The Higley Company built a number of buildings on the Denison campus over several decades, including Burke, Crawford, Huffman, Knapp, Seeley Mudd, the Field House, Slayter, Fellows, the ATO and DU fraternity houses, Shepardson, and the addition to Curtis. Al joined the company in 1954 and served as an engineer, superintendent, and estimator. He was elected vice president and treasurer in 1965 and in 1971 he became chairman and chief executive officer.
Al’s civic commitments have been extensive. He served as chairman of the Cleveland chapter of the American Red Cross, as well as chairman of AAA-Ohio Motorists Association. He is a present or former board member of the Cleveland Rotary Club, the Greater Cleveland Central YMCA, the Salvation Army, Children’s Services, Booth Memorial Hospital, and United Way Services of Cleveland. He is president of the Higley Foundation, which supports a number of nonprofit organizations.
Al and wife Beverly, who are the parents of three, live in Pepper Pike, Ohio.