B.S., Denison University
B.S., Wellesley College
M.S., Indiana Univesity
Citation awarded June, 1994
Helen has had two separate and distinguished careers. Following her graduation from Denison, she attended Wellesley College, securing a Bachelor of Science in 1926. Carnegie Mellon was her first post as an instructor in Physical Education. In 1929 she moved to Indiana University’s Department of Physical Education for Women where she remained for thirty years.
Her special contribution to the Department was in the scientific theory and practice of Adapted (individually prescribed) Exercises. In addition to serving the professional and general students in this area, she exerted a significant influence on the work with handicapped children in the Indiana University Speech and Hearing Clinic.
She also taught team sports and was responsible for their administration in the developing intramural program. She extended her professional interests, nationally, by assuming responsibilities with the National Sections on Women’s Athletics of the American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.
In 1960 she responded to her family’s urging and moved to Seattle. She bought a small telephone answering service, which she developed into a service for 500 physicians. The business was sold in 1977.
Helen has been active in Seattle in both professional associations and in many varied volunteer roles, including the Medina Children’s Services, several hospitals, the Seattle Symphony and Seattle Art Museum. She has maintained a close relationship with Denison.