J. Lincoln Knapp, 1925
B.S., Denison University
J.D., The Ohio State University
Citation awarded June, 1980
Recognized for his quarter century of outstanding judicial service, Judge J. Lincoln Knapp is one of the senior common pleas judges of Ohio. He served eight years as municipal judge of Zanesville, Ohio, and is completing 17 years on the common pleas bench of Muskingum County, Ohio. In 1978 he completed 50 years as a member of the Ohio State Bar Association.
He has been a trustee of the executive committee of the common pleas judges association since its incorporation. He is also presiding judge of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District Court comprising 18 judges who oversee the work of the district.
He activated the Muskingum County Cancer Unit and was one of the originators of the free cancer detection clinic which operated in Muskingum County for many years. He was for years vice chairman of the local chapter of the American Red Cross and president of the Crippled Children’s organization. He has been campaign chairman and president of the local Community Chest.
Judge Knapp served as president of the Zanesville Metropolitan Housing Authority during its early stages including the building of its Coopermill Manor and completed 25 years on its board of commissioners. For years he served as a trustee of the Shinnick Educational Fund, which has financed the education of hundreds of students from Muskingum County. He was president of the Zanesville Rotary Club and the University Club as well as the Muskingum County Bar Association. He was also president of the Boy Scout Area of Southeastern Ohio and was awarded the Silver Beaver for distinguished service. He is a member of a fourth-generation Denison family.