B.A., Denison University, 1949
D.O., Kirksville College of Osteopathy, 1952
Citation awarded June, 2004
Jack Rauch, a native of Logan, Ohio, practiced healthcare in that Southeastern Ohio community for 39 years. During that time he was a leader not only in the community but also within his profession and in the larger healthcare arena. He founded and built the Rauch Medical Clinic in 1967, and he served as Medical Director of Logan Health Care Center from 1980-86. Jack also served as Hocking County Coroner for 21 years and as athletic physician for Logan High School for 21 years.
Rauch served two terms as President of the Ohio State Medical Board, to which he was appointed in 1983. Under his leadership, the medical board moved to more aggressively enforce the provisions of the Medical Practice Act, expanding its investigatory powers and its authority to suspend a physician’s license prior to a hearing when his/her practice is endangering the public health. Jack also worked to set up guidelines ensuring greater consistency in sanctions applied for specific medical practice violations.
An ambassador for his profession, Jack impressed his M.D. colleagues enough to earn, in 1962, status as the first D.O. on the staff of both the former Mount St. Mary’s Hospital in Nelsonville and the Hocking Valley Community Hospital in Logan. In 1973-74 and again in 1983, he served as Chief of Staff of the Logan Hospital. He was instrumental in forming the philosophy of dual-staff hospitals that now prevails throughout Ohio.
Jack was an early supporter of an Ohio osteopathic college and actively fought for the passage of Amended House Bill 229 that established the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine. He has served on a number of college committees and was an active adjunct clinical faculty member before retirement. He has also participated as a leader in fund-raising in support of scholarships and programs for osteopathic students.
After receiving the Squibb Service Award in 1975, Jack was awarded the Phillips Medal of Public Service by the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1986. In 1987, he received the Master Clinical Teacher Award for his distinguished contributions to the clinical teaching program. He is a member of the Logan High School Alumni and Athletic Halls of Fame.
In his community, Jack has been a leader on several fronts: founder and chairman of the board of Tri-County Mental Health and Counseling Service, Inc.; president and 46-year member of the Logan Rotary Club (with perfect attendance!); co-organizer of the Big Brother/Big Sister Association of Hocking County; active member and president of the Stewardship Committee of St. Matthew Lutheran Church.
We honor John E. Rauch ’49 for his indomitable spirit, his devotion to teaching the art of osteopathic medicine, and his commitment to paving the way for generations of doctors who followed in his pioneering footsteps.