Denison salutes members of the remarkable Class of 2020!
Now, we are still very much here for you as you begin your career or move on to graduate or professional school. Below you will find numerous resources specifically designed to help you pursue and achieve your postgraduate goals.
Class of 2020 Resources for Job Searches
- As you write or edit your resume, keep these tips in mind.
- Similarly, writing a cover letter is critical to making a good first impression. Utilize these insights to improve your cover letter.
- For those needing a more detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), check out these points for creating a CV.
- Some job applications will also require a personal statement. Check out these guidelines for writing a personal statement.
- Be sure to create or update your profile on LinkedIn to be consistent with your resume or CV. LinkedIn is also a great platform to search for potential jobs and strengthen your network.
Build Your Network
It is important to connect with people who can help you in your job search. There are many ways to do this networking.
- Utilize Denison’s Alumni Mentoring Platform called Wisr Network, as well as Denison’s Find Alumni Tool on LinkedIn.
- Denison also offers many networking events with alumni throughout the world. For the next virtual or networking event in your area, see our Upcoming Events.
- For some quick tips for networking know-how, check out this guide.
LinkedIn remains a valuable tool when networking and job searching. Learn how to maximize LinkedIn’s benefits with these tips:
- Communicate effectively on LinkedIn
- Use LinkedIn to find jobs or internships
- Build your personal brand on LinkedIn
- Tailor your profile to meet your goals
- Use this checklist to ensure a complete profile
Career Advice and Research
You can contact the Knowlton Center and speak with our career counselors for all kinds of career information and advice. In addition, we also recommend these external sources for career research:
- The Muse for career advice, including information about interviewing, resumes and cover letters, and current industry trends
- Glassdoor for company reviews, salary reports, and interviewing sights
- Salary.com for a detailed breakdown of salaries by job titles and location. Explore how salaries vary by industry, years of experience, company size, education level, and more.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services provides information from the Department of Homeland Security on Visas, CPT, and OPT
Job Search Websites
For new grads seeking jobs, here are a couple of job websites we recommend checking out.
- Big Red Job Link
- Idealist.org is a job site for nonprofit, social impact careers, grad school, and volunteer opportunities
- USAJobs.gov is a job site for careers with the U.S. government
- AfterCollege is a job site that lets you explore jobs based on your education
- Mediabistro.com is a job site focused on media-related careers
Once you have landed an interview, use these tips for preparing for your interview and for assistance in getting ready for those behavior-based interview questions.
Class of 2020 Resources for Graduate & Professional School
Considering Graduate and Professional School
There are many variables to consider as you contemplate whether to attend graduate school. Check out our Guide to Graduate and Professional School to help you assess your options.
Applying to Graduate School
- Learn more about the application process for business schools.
- Follow these links for more information about graduate school tests.
Applying to Professional School
- Learn more about the application process for law schools.
- View our Law School Timetable.
- Learn more about the application process for medical schools and other health-related programs.
- Follow these links for more information about professional school tests.
Graduate School Blogs
For insight from fellow Denisonians during their graduate endeavors, check out these blog posts: