Jeannette Marlow, 1943
B.A., Denison University
M.D., Medical College of Pennsylvania
Citation awarded May, 1993
Jeannette Marlow received her medical degree in 1947 from the Medical College of Pennsylvania. Following an internship, research, and residency, she received the first fellowship offered by the New York City Health Department for work at the Babies Hospital.
For seven years she was in private pediatric practice, also serving as an attending physician at several clinics. While serving as a school physician, she became interested in reading disabilities and was instrumental in instituting screening and special programs for affected students.
In 1967, Jeannette became a pediatric specialist at Letchworth Village Development Center, a public institution for the profoundly retarded. She formed an interdisciplinary team to develop learning stimulating programs for children. Unrealized abilities were discovered by these programs for severely learning-disabled children, even allowing some children to return to their parents.
Seven years later, Jeannette took a position at the developmental center in Wassaic, N.Y., where she became the director of medical services. The state-run residential facility for the mentally retarded and developmentally disabled had a staff of 3000 and treated 1600 residents. She was responsible for overseeing the medical services offered at the center.
While serving in these complex and demanding positions, she raised four children, taught Sunday school, was an assistant scout leader, and an active member of AAUW.
Jeannette received the Physicians Recognition award from the American Medical Association in 1977 and is listed in Who’s Who Among American Women and Who’s Who in the East.