William P. Huffman, 1911
B.S., Denison University
Citation awarded on Saturday, June 7, 1975
A third generation emeritus member of the Denison Board of Trustees, William P. Huffman has served from 1939 to 1973, including the chairmanship from 1950 to 1956. In 1960, the University named a new dining and residence hall for the Huffman family in recognition of the many contributions and services made by them to Denison. Mr. Huffman’s father, Torrence, was a trustee from 1899 to 1927 and his grandfather, also William P. Huffman, from 1864 to 1888.
Mr. Huffman’s lifelong interest in the welfare of Denison University extended also to the community of Granville and prompted him to purchase the old Sigma Chi House on Broadway and deed it to the college as the College-Town House. Since 1944, it has been maintained by the University and used as a club house by Granville organizations with apartments on the second floor rented by college personnel.
He has been extremely active as an officer of the national Sigma Chi fraternity since 1933 to date and crowned several lifetimes of service to the fraternity as its 41st Grand Consul. He is currently president of the Sigma Chi Foundation.
His business interests have included acting as secretary-treasurer and president of the Buckeye Iron and Brass Works in Dayton from 1916 to 1965, as vice chairman of the State Fidelity Federal Savings & Loan Association, and as director of the City Transit Company and of the Dayton Power & Light Company.